As we get into Spring cleaning, yard work, and kick off BBQ season, this is an important time to review some fire safety concerns in and around your home.
Thank you to the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs for the following fire safety tips.
In the House
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, change batteries immediately if needed.
- Check your fire extinguishers.
- Check for overloaded or damaged extension cords, replace where needed.
- Practice your families fire escape plan so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency
- Properly store household chemicals and never mix cleaning agents
- Check and clean filters above stove.
- Pull refrigerator out and vacuum or dust the coils.
Around the House
- Make sure your address numbers are up and visible from the street.
- Maintain a clear ‘fire zone’ of 10′ around structures.
- Check outdoor electrical outlets and other electrical appliances for animal nests and to ensure proper wiring.
- Clean up and properly store paints, pool and yard chemicals.
- Check fuel containers for leaks and make sure they are properly stored.
- Let power equipment sit for approximately 30 minutes before placing it inside to be sure there is no possibility of fire.
- All barbeque grills must only be used outdoors
- Always position the grill well away from combustible objects — buildings, fences, deck railings and landscaping can easily and quickly ignite.
- Get your grill cleaned and serviced. Check all propane tanks and lines for leaks and damage.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended.
- Always use long handled grilling utensils and heat resistant oven mitts to avoid exposure burns from heat and flames.
- Periodically remove grease build-up in catch trays to prevent it from igniting.
Read more at www.oafc.on.ca/spring-summer-fire-safety-tips